تقليص
X

• تصفية - فلترة
  • الوقت
  • عرض
إلغاء تحديد الكل
مشاركات جديدة

Being a Minimalist Pays

A problem today with large parts of the world is that there seems to be too much choice. Too many cameras, too many photographers, and too many photographs.

I am certain that no one can come out with 1000 outstanding pictures from a 10 day trip. I personally am happy if I get one usable photograph in one field day. And over the course of a trip, I’d much rather take a dozen great photos than a hundred solid ones.

Choice is a spoiler. It is one reason why I am not too keen on getting into the 10 FPS zone. Selecting the best out of hundred is like finding a needle in a haystack. Also, if I cannot produce one good picture out of 10, I am certainly not going to produce one good picture out of 100.

So, the bottom line should always be quality over quantity. A bad picture is as good as not having the picture. Conserving your time, energy, and patience to plan for a few good pictures is way more productive than running around without focus.
    Chimp, But Don’t Chimp Too Much

If you have not heard of chimping, it simply means reviewing your photos while you’re out in the field, but it has a negative reputation. If you chimp too much, you can miss an amazing scene in front of you.

I admit it, I am a chimp. But it all boils down to how much we chimp. Taking a look at the shot to check the exposure, focus and composition is all fine, and it can help you avoid making an error in your camera settings. But if you’re in the habit of reviewing every photo after you just took it, that is too much. Chimping after the scene is gone borders on pointless, while chimping during the height of the action is simply a bad idea. There is a bit of an art to finding which times are safe to chimp and will give you useful information for the next photo – but if you aren’t sure, keep your peeping to a minimum.
    Have Enough Negative Space

It is true that most of us seek to fill as many pixels as possible with our subject. The bigger the subject in the frame, the more it will grab attention.

But negative space is also useful; it helps pull the observer’s eye into the picture. Sometimes, it attracts more attention than simply filling your frame with the subject from corner to corner.

On top of that, if you leave a bit of extra space around your subject, you can improve your chances of getting the shot even if your subject is moving erratically. Take a look at the gray heron picture below. In this case, I was close to the subject, my settings were good, and everything was ok with the picture, except the leg at the bottom is cut out:
    NIKON D7000 @ 500mm, ISO 100, 1/1250, f/5.6
    This one issue makes the picture unusable even though everything else is how I want.

Another reason to avoid a corner-to-corner subject has to do with lens. Even a lot of pro-grade lenses have some loss of sharpness in the extreme corners. Semi-pro lenses suffer even more. Add that to autofocus accuracy concerns – the tracking system working best with more central AF points – and it can be a recipe for imperfect sharpness if you place your subject too far off-center.

Of course, it’s always a balance. You don’t want to crop your photo too much. Again, 20% is about where I’d try to stay. But if you do feel that your subject is filling too much of the frame, I recommend pulling back to give yourself as much flexibility as possible and improve your odds of getting the shot.

تعليق

كونه الحد الأدنى يدفع

إن المشكلة التي تواجه أجزاء كبيرة من العالم اليوم هي أنه يبدو أن هناك الكثير من الخيارات. عدد كبير جدًا من الكاميرات، وعدد كبير جدًا من المصورين، وعدد كبير جدًا من الصور الفوتوغرافية.

أنا متأكد من أنه لا يمكن لأحد أن يخرج بـ 1000 صورة رائعة من رحلة مدتها 10 أيام. أنا شخصياً أشعر بالسعادة إذا حصلت على صورة واحدة صالحة للاستخدام في يوم ميداني واحد. وعلى مدار الرحلة، أفضّل التقاط عشرات الصور الرائعة بدلاً من التقاط مائة صورة ثابتة.

الاختيار هو المفسد. وهذا أحد الأسباب التي تجعلني لا أحرص على الدخول إلى منطقة الـ 10 إطارات في الثانية. إن اختيار الأفضل من بين مائة يشبه البحث عن إبرة في كومة قش. وأيضًا، إذا لم أتمكن من إنتاج صورة واحدة جيدة من أصل 10، فلن أقوم بالتأكيد بإنتاج صورة واحدة جيدة من أصل 100.

لذا، يجب أن تكون النتيجة النهائية دائمًا هي الجودة وليس الكمية. الصورة السيئة جيدة مثل عدم وجود الصورة. يعد توفير وقتك وطاقتك وصبرك للتخطيط لبعض الصور الجيدة أكثر إنتاجية بكثير من التجول دون تركيز.

الشمبانزي، لكن لا تكثر من الشمبانزي

إذا لم تكن قد سمعت عن الشمبانزي، فهذا يعني ببساطة مراجعة صورك أثناء تواجدك في الميدان، ولكن لها سمعة سلبية. إذا أفرطت في تناول الشمبانزي، فقد يفوتك مشهد مذهل أمامك.

أنا أعترف بذلك، أنا الشمبانزي. لكن الأمر كله يتلخص في مقدار ما نستهلكه من الشمبانزي. يعد إلقاء نظرة على اللقطة للتحقق من التعرض والتركيز والتركيب أمرًا جيدًا، ويمكن أن يساعدك على تجنب ارتكاب خطأ في إعدادات الكاميرا. ولكن إذا كنت معتادًا على مراجعة كل صورة بعد التقاطها للتو، فهذا كثير جدًا. إن المضغ بعد انتهاء المشهد لا معنى له، في حين أن المضغ أثناء ذروة الحدث هو ببساطة فكرة سيئة. هناك القليل من الفن في العثور على الأوقات الآمنة للشمبانزي، وسوف يوفر لك معلومات مفيدة للصورة التالية - ولكن إذا لم تكن متأكدًا، فاحرص على تقليل اختلاس النظر إلى الحد الأدنى.

لديك مساحة سلبية كافية

صحيح أن معظمنا يسعى لملء أكبر عدد ممكن من البكسلات بموضوعنا. كلما كان الموضوع أكبر في الإطار، كلما جذب الانتباه أكثر.

لكن المساحة السلبية مفيدة أيضًا؛ فهو يساعد على جذب عين المراقب إلى الصورة. في بعض الأحيان، يجذب هذا المزيد من الاهتمام أكثر من مجرد ملء إطارك بالموضوع من زاوية إلى أخرى.

علاوة على ذلك، إذا تركت مساحة إضافية صغيرة حول هدفك، فيمكنك تحسين فرصك في الحصول على اللقطة حتى لو كان هدفك يتحرك بشكل غير منتظم. ألق نظرة على صورة مالك الحزين الرمادي أدناه. في هذه الحالة، كنت قريبًا من الموضوع، وكانت إعداداتي جيدة، وكان كل شيء على ما يرام في الصورة، باستثناء الساق في الأسفل مقطوعة:

كاميرا نيكون D7000 عند 500 ملم، ISO 100، 1/1250، f/5.6

هذه المشكلة الوحيدة تجعل الصورة غير قابلة للاستخدام على الرغم من أن كل شيء آخر هو ما أريده.

سبب آخر لتجنب الهدف من الزاوية إلى الزاوية يتعلق بالعدسة. حتى أن الكثير من العدسات الاحترافية تعاني من بعض فقدان الحدة في الزوايا القصوى. العدسات شبه الاحترافية تعاني أكثر. أضف ذلك إلى المخاوف المتعلقة بدقة التركيز البؤري التلقائي - حيث يعمل نظام التتبع بشكل أفضل مع المزيد من نقاط التركيز البؤري التلقائي المركزية - ويمكن أن يكون ذلك بمثابة وصفة لحدة غير كاملة إذا وضعت هدفك بعيدًا عن المركز.

وبطبيعة الحال، هو دائما التوازن. لا تريد اقتصاص صورتك كثيرًا. مرة أخرى، 20% يتعلق بالمكان الذي سأحاول البقاء فيه. ولكن إذا كنت تشعر أن هدفك يملأ جزءًا كبيرًا من الإطار، فإنني أوصي بالتراجع لمنح نفسك أكبر قدر ممكن من المرونة وتحسين احتمالات حصولك على اللقطة.

تعليق

Enjoy Photography and Be Ethical

Last but not the least, enjoy what you are doing. You might shoot a photo that gets a million likes on social media or even wins a competition – but if you do not enjoy it in the first place, it is almost as good as nothing. Quick thrills are fun but they do not sustain a hobby in the long run.

There are times where I have had a rare subject but I ended up with horrible light. Those times, I just kept my camera aside, admired the scene, and walked away. As always with nature photography, in spite of all the planning, nothing is fully in our control. If we get the shots we seek, perfect! But we have no reason to be disappointed or come back home depressed because we did not get what we sought.

Lastly, respect your subject. The beautiful birds did not ask us to click a picture of them in the first place. So during the process, it is only fair to come back with photographs putting least stress on our subjects. Approach and part from them as unobtrusively as possible, so they would ignore you immaterial of you bagging the shot or not.

I hope you enjoyed this article! I’ve put down most of the tips that I follow and help me take better photographs of birds in the field. I intentionally avoided a few important topics like lens choice, as there are already endless debates and articles about them if you wish to partake.

تعليق

استمتع بالتصوير الفوتوغرافي وكن أخلاقيًا

وأخيرًا وليس آخرًا، استمتع بما تفعله. قد تلتقط صورة تحصل على مليون إعجاب على وسائل التواصل الاجتماعي أو حتى تفوز بمسابقة - ولكن إذا لم تستمتع بها في المقام الأول، فلن يكون الأمر جيدًا تقريبًا. الإثارة السريعة ممتعة ولكنها لا تحافظ على هواية على المدى الطويل.

هناك أوقات واجهت فيها موضوعًا نادرًا ولكن انتهى بي الأمر بضوء فظيع. في تلك الأوقات، كنت أحتفظ بالكاميرا جانبًا، وأعجب بالمشهد، ثم ابتعد. كما هو الحال دائمًا مع تصوير الطبيعة، على الرغم من كل التخطيط، لا يوجد شيء تحت سيطرتنا بالكامل. إذا حصلنا على اللقطات التي نسعى إليها، فهذا مثالي! ولكن ليس لدينا أي سبب لنشعر بخيبة الأمل أو نعود إلى ديارنا مكتئبين لأننا لم نحصل على ما سعينا إليه.

واخيرا احترم موضوعك لم تطلب منا الطيور الجميلة أن نلتقط صورة لها في المقام الأول. لذلك، أثناء هذه العملية، من العدل أن نعود بصور فوتوغرافية تضع أقل قدر من الضغط على موضوعاتنا. اقترب منهم وابتعد عنهم بشكل غير مزعج قدر الإمكان، حتى يتجاهلوك بغض النظر عما إذا كنت تلتقط اللقطة أم لا.

آمل أن يحظى هذا المقال بإعجابكم! لقد قمت بتدوين معظم النصائح التي أتبعها وساعدتني في التقاط صور أفضل للطيور في الحقل. لقد تجنبت عمدًا بعض المواضيع المهمة مثل اختيار العدسات، حيث توجد بالفعل مناقشات ومقالات لا نهاية لها حول هذه المواضيع إذا كنت ترغب في المشاركة.

تعليق

يعمل...
          X